Saturday, September 12, 2009

Seats of Power Walk

On September 5th, 2009 around 2pm around ten of us girls headed out for our Seats of Power Walk. Since it is hard to stick together in such a large group Emmy, Kristen, Abby and I split off and all headed towards the tube to start our adventure. We got on the tube at Notting Hill Gate and took the circle line to Westminster. Once we got off on Westminster and headed along the Victorian Embankment. Here is what we saw!



The first statues that really grabbed our eyes were these two memorials for those who fought during The Battle of Britain. I especially liked all of the detail that was put into these memorials. It makes you look back and see all that these men went through.



In our first fireside we had a Bishop come speak to us about the culture differences between the USA and London. One of the things he mentioned is the difference between big and old. He claimed that the United States prides themselves on the size, how big everything is (which I am not denying that at all). He did however claim that London does not pride itself not on the size but how old everything is. This is all true yes, but after seeing the parliament buildings on Whitehall I do have to say that London does have some pretty big old buildings. My pictures do not really capture how large they are but they are still beautiful to look at.


Queen Mary's Steps built for her by King Henry VIII so she could have a place to look out at the Thames.



William Tyndale, the man who translated the bible into modern English.



The Horse guards and their parade ground.




Hello Mr. Prime Minster, this is the residents of the Prime MInister. 10 Downing Street. The iron gate was added by Margaret Thatcher when she was Prime Minister.



We saw many more sites, some building which I new were significant to the political history of London, we just got to turned around to follow our guide book. Go figure. Other sites I recognized such as the Buckingham palace, which I loved. I kept picturing what it would have been like to come here during Princess Diana's death and see the thousands of people and flowers piled together.

I loved this walk because where we live has the urban feel of London. This walk should the classy, history of London which I love, and I got to see how closely connected everything in this city is.

No comments:

Post a Comment